The most profound emotion that being in this environment elicits is serenity. The natural beauty makes me calm and collected and brings a sense of inner peace and happiness. Being in this tranquil atmosphere allows me to control my constantly racing mind, to think rationally about my every day troubles and difficulties. In this place, I can let my guard down because I know that pain and suffering do not exist here. I allow myself to be deeply captivated by the natural tranquility. By the time that I decide to leave my “happy place”, I believe that in many ways that I have been healed and rehabilitated. My everyday stress has been completely eliminated and my soul is filled with peaceful feelings and emotions. The simplicity of the existence and everyday occurrences in this place are profoundly refreshing. It is clear that everything around me exists, as it has been, for countless years; unchanged. The significance of the history of the park is apparent in the old, beaten trails, and the trees and rocks tell the stories of the past. I know that in years to come, future generations will also come here to do the exact thing I am doing now, and will also be able to use this place to find a sense of inner peace. This place is not tainted with the negative aspects of life, but instead it is pure, fresh, and natural.
Deaton-Street, Diane. Big Rock, Cherokee Park. 1896. Photograph. Louisville, Ky. Flickr. Yahoo.com, 25 June 2006. Web. 20 June 2011. http://www.flickr.com/photos/deatonstreet/174647986/. |
Cherokee park was originally designed by famed landscape architect, Fredrick Law Olmsted in 1891, and is exactly 389.13 acres (Wolfe pg 1). Among many other accomplishments, Olmsted is best known for being the “nationally-renown landscape architect responsible for creating Central Park in New York” (Elliot paragraph 2). His layout of the park consists of combinations of secluded areas and social environments for the satisfied traveler. However, there is one major flaw in the design and layout of Cherokee Park. Beargrass Creek, which runs throughout Louisville, is in many places terrifyingly close in proximity to the sewage system. The old pipes are highly prone to cracks and leeks, which in turn can lead the pollution of the water. Many people cool off on a hot summer day in the water of the creek, but swimming in contaminated with fecal matter can be detrimental to the health of any person. E.coli, which is transferred from person to person through contact of fecal matter, is the main risk in this situation. One such example of a leek that occurred in the sewer system was documented by a local news station. Crews of trained professionals used “green dye in the water to trace where the leek was coming from” (FOX41 paragraph 2). Although pipes and leeks can be repaired, the raw sewage can be devastating to the health of humans and animals alike. The water quality status Report from 2007 says that the average fecal coliform concentration in the creek is causing pathogens to grow in the water (Water Quality page 26). Although there are various signs posted throughout the park that warn explorers of the dangerous contents of the creek, many people continue to enjoy a swim in the fresh, cool water of Beargrass creek.
For me, Cherokee park is a place to come when I am bored, a place to explore, or a place to go when I just need some time to get away. By allowing my mind to wander, I am able to get a deeper understanding of myself and my most essential priorities in life. When I begin the short hike back to Big Rock, my mind always wanders back to the first time I was introduced to the park. I was young; maybe sixteen and I had no idea that this would soon be my favorite hide away from the world as I know it. Sitting here now I think back to how far I have come since that time. Through my struggles and hardships I have been shaped and molded into the person that I am today. One example of a time that was difficult for me was two years ago, when my aunt committed suicide. I came to Big Rock in Cherokee Park to try to understand the significance of it, the impact this would have on my family and I, and to help me be able to cope with my own feelings and emotions. This was a very difficult time for everyone in my family and personally, the serenity of Cherokee park and big rock help me to be able to deal with my emotions in a way that was healthy and beneficial to me. I have also had many wonderful memories at the park, from mountain biking on the trails to fishing in Beargrass Creek, and even sledding down dog hill in the snow and ice storms. Just imagining returning to the park makes me excited because I can’t wait to make even more peaceful and happy memories.
Works Cited
Elliot, Jessica. "Top 10 Louisville Parks." City Guide to Louisville KY and Southern Indiana. Web. 20 June 2011. <http://louisville.about.com/od/sportsrecreation/tp/top10louisvilleparks.htm>.
Water Quality Status Report. Rep. Limno-Tech, Inc., 28 Feb. 2007. Web. 20 June 2011. <http://www.msdlouky.org/projectwin/pdfs/WQ_StatusReport_Final_022807.pdf>.
No comments:
Post a Comment